Dear family,
Our district has the only native speaker as one of our teachers. As it turns out she was baptized in Hong Kong so its no wonder she favors me. Also after seven weeks they're gonna experiment on the three of us going to Hong Kong and let us go to classes with the Cantonese elders to learn how to buy things and ask directions. I really hope I confuse the two languages together.
Temporally I am struggling. My gray suit has slash on the sleeve and a tear on the elbow on that same sleeve. A white shirt has a food stain on it. The officer shoes are ripped up. A par of paints has a hole in the butt and I smell bad all the time. My watch is miraculously (if that's how you spell it) unscathed.
Spiritually I am obese and my soul is delighting itself in fatness. For some reason my companion (Elder Stewart AKA Sun Zhanglao) and I cry during like every meeting, video and song. God made it so I cry when I feel the Spirit to humble me. I realize this while im crying and then I cry harder because I am not humble. I feel like I'm a sister missionary.
I have not worked as hard as I should have. If my companion and I had worked as hard as we could have since the first day, we would be able to read out of the book of Mormon and Bible in characters without the pinyin romanization help by now. We will be able to do this before we
leave the MTC for sure.
Love you guys, I wish I was doing interesting things, or that I could just remember them when I write letters or journal entries,
Elder Wall (Hua Zhanglao)
P.S. Send me pictures of babies
On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Stephen Wall
Hello family,
I still don't know how or want to write. Letters or journals. I always leave out the good things. I think that I have too much fun over here. I really like all the war and violence things that we are taught over here. Too bad I cant fight with a sword. What seems harder and take more bravery is missionary work. I would rather train with a weapon than with flashcards and reading. Also it takes lots of bravery to tell people what they need to know. In the RC or referral center, all we had to do was call people up and see if they had received their complementary DVD. I was terrified. Most of the people we called seemed to have already been called previously that day and were annoyed. Most of them seemed like they were black people from the south "Hello may I speak with Tyraneka?"
"Who callin' ?!?" hangs up.
So I need to start studying and things. I need to work hard mentally not violently. I can be a solider who marches with scriptures and armor of God and such. Please don't be discouraged because of the length of my letters. Its just me being obedient to my commandments. I don't enjoy it yet, pretty soon I won't leave out the good stuff.
I keep the same companion the whole time, its a good thing that I love him. He enjoyed my fortune cookie. I talked somewhat to Elder dodge during my stay. I realised that pretty soon I will be home regretting wasting most of the two years that I was in China and wondering where all the time went.
love you,
Elder Wall
June 1
Dear family
I can't wait till writing a letter and writing in a journal is easy and no longer a pain for me. I think that 30 minutes is too much time for me. I only need like 5 minutes. I bought the large type of journal because I didn't bring the one that we bought from Walmart. I can't even fill up half of a page in my journal. I am humbled that I have to cry at every meeting, I wish I could just feel a burning in my bosom. I like my companion. His name is Elder Stewart. He is at the same level as me in Chinese. This allows our companion study, planning and language study to have the potential of being intense. Most other elders have not even learned any Chinese before, and here we are going through flashcard after flashcard of characters. Not only that, my companion has the Spirit radiate from him when he teaches. I can't wait till Saturday when we teach a lesson to "investigators", we are gonna tear it up, maybe better than the missionaries that have been here for six weeks. Actually, we will, but we lack some vocab to teach the entire lesson in Chinese, so we are just going to get to know our investigators first. Don't miss me, I have given up my old life and I have forgotten it, so much so that I haven't even talked to Daoqi Zhanglao, my former best friend back in my sinful time.
Love,
Elder Wall
No comments:
Post a Comment