Stephen is Elder Lamb's "favorite missionary ever". Thanks to Elder Lamb, I have several pictures of Stephen and some pictures of Hong Kong too.
3/11/10
Dear family,
I like my new calling. I like my companion who just had his 24th birthday. Actually, I failed to mention Nepalese people who read the Hindi Book of Mormon, African people who read the French Book of Mormon, Vietnamese people who read Vietnamese ones and we have a couple Korean copies just in case. The cool thing about Indonesians is that alot of them don't speak English and learn the gospel through Cantonese but the cooler thing about Vietnamese people is that they don't speak Cantonese and need to learn the Gospel through MANDARIN!
We have an investigator with a baptismal date already, we have only met her four times total. What is hilarious is that she is from Sichuan China. My companion speaks English to her and I clarify with Mandarin. He is going to baptize her in Mandarin. It will be his first baptism, he doesn't even know the prayer in Cantonese. I, one the other hand have baptized probably about twenty. This investigator's name is Doreen and she wants to serve a mission. When we told her that some people don't believe in the book of Mormon, she told us "As a matter of fact I feel quite angry" Elder Lindsey, Abby and I laughed really hard. Abby is a Filipina member who doesn't really relate much to a mainland student, but is so nice that she is an amazing fellow shipper (for pretty much all of our lessons).
I really love our branch, there are so many different types of people but they all love each other and I feel that they probably epitomize what heaven looks like.
In Macau seriously I can get everything that they have in America for a little less than you can, before the postage. US mart has all the name brand companies' obscure products. Extra large low fat pizza Pringles? Got 'em in Macau. Oh Henry chocolate bars? Yep. They even have Maruchan Ramen, which makes no sense. Why import ramen from America? That baffles my mind. When we were in the immense candy section, observing all the Wonka candy that I have never seen in the US, Elder Lindsey said "It's too bad they don't have Raisonettes." Then I said "Of course they have." I promptly found him a bag. Then he said "I just wish they had the big box kind." Then I said, "Of course they have the big box kind," and found him one instantly. They have these sets of products all taped together and sell them for sixty patacas these sets include a bag of pretzels and like a package of double stuff chocolate Oreos and Chunky Nabisco chips ahoy all together. There is also every type of Malto meal cereal and every single Western Family product known to man.
So in short, don't send me packages with goodies. I will probably get way fat as it is. Food is so cheap that we can eat out pretty much every meal.
Church starts at 5 and ends at 8, its pretty much the coolest thing ever. And we go to the Cantonese ward in the morning in case any investigators can’t make the later one and translate for them. I am useless in Cantonese as of now, but I will totally start studying it so I can communicate with Indonesians and translate church perhaps.
I didn't understand why we needed to be at the church so early on Monday morning and was sort of complaining until my companion said "Surprise! We're the branch Clerks!" I enjoy counting money and sorting the many different bills that also include Hong Kong dollars in addition to patacas. The exchange rate is one to one so no problem.
I have the same thoughts as my father about visiting Macau. To heck with Hong Kong! Just kidding there is just a spirit out here, everybody says hi when you say hi to them and genuinely smile back at you; Chinese people included. We should definitely visit the mandarin branch though. I am missing a convert baptism that me and Elder Ngai got together. It is Liu Jiemei, a single mother who has an adorable three and a half year old daughter who is definitely on the kidnap list. My other convert baptism, the one I got with Elder Bendall apparently misses me a little too much. Her name is Elsa and she recently graduated from Baptist U in Kowloon tong by the temple. I will get photos to
you guys of my baptisms eventually.
I have lots more to say so tune in next time.
I will probably have pictures as well too.
Hua Zhanglao
No comments:
Post a Comment