Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Two Letters at Once 12/7/09

Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 09:12:49 +0000
Subject:
Hello family,

I am gaining much experience and I am progressing. I had almost lost my wallet once this week and thought that I had lost it today. Turns out it was in my backpack.

To Laura: Congratulations! Thanks for writing me. I actually am fat. Chinese people are allowed to point this out. It actually is funny. Pretty soon I will inevitably get skinny and then not be funny anymore. I am the fattest missionary in the mission.

I see Elder Kershisnik about twice a week. This week we had companionship exchanges and I got to be with him. We went finding. We contacted this one guy together. We asked him why his church doesn't have prophets, but the church in the bible had them. He thought that was a really good question. We pretty much blew his mind. He started walking away and turned around to assure us that his mind had been blown. Then I threw in stuff about children not needing baptism. He was pretty stunned. I wish I could explain how incredibly flabbergasted he was. Kershisnik's Mandarin thrashes.

I am still terrified about when I become a senior companion. I will train pretty soon too. We have a mandarin coming in January and four in march. This is actually way too many mandarins. I think president Chan wants ten max. My second move there was only eight. When there is fifteen mandarins for almost a year straight I don't know what exactly will happen. I assume all of the experienced Mandarins and Hong Kong natives with mandarin calls will get sent to Cantonese or English work. Then I will have to train and probably die. I actually wish I could get sent to do international work and convert a lot of Philipinas and Thai ladies who are nannys. I don't want to be in a zone full of a whole lot of white guys who just barely arrived in Hong Kong who only "speak" Mandarin.

I am definitely having the time of my life. I am slowly improving my testimony and confidence in myself. I don't know about my language improvement thought. My English is definitely digressing (it took me like five minutes to recall that word). I guess I can say its because Chinese is replacing it.

Hong Kong has pretty much every kind of place you can imagine to purchase things. Seven eleven and circle K are here. They also have supermarkets and street markets. There are many Chinese medicine places. Turtle shells and antlers evidently have medicinal properties.

I will probably answer other questions once I have better experiences to answer them.

I love you all,


Hua Zhanglao (Elder Wall)

Letter that was sent to someone else:

I just moved to Mong Kok today. I am the zone leader minion. That means that Elder Ngai is my companion and that he is mandarin zone leader. He is from Canada and plays hockey. I like him. I just have to go on exchanges every time he has a zone leader meeting. I'm not invited. All the other zone leaders are in zone leader companionships. I told him that I am his flying monkey. His parents are both Hong Kong people. His mandarin is better than his Cantonese though.

Mong Kok is an immoral place. There are many pink lights (Chinese version of red light) everywhere. There is pretty good shopping for Chinese merchandise on lady street. My apartment has six people all of whom I am pretty familiar. I like them. There are a lot less roaches here than in Kwai Fong.

I will send more photos next time. Actually I didn't take a single picture last moves. I basically went on a strenuous hike to the top of lions rock and then realized I didn't bring my camera to take a picture of the view of all of Hong Kong.

I think I might not be scared of talking to random people anymore, whether on the train or on the phone. I have more confidence now. Elder Bendall really helped me. We did have our differences though.

I just really wish that that package had Maris yahoo in it; that was probably my only Christmas wish. Its cool though. Thanks for all the love and support. Sorry that my emails sometimes aren't emailed correctly. I think that my drivers license might be from when I lost my wallet and the lucky person who got all my money decided to mail my license out of mercy or something. I had a spare because I anticipated losing my wallet. I will never use it though; mandarins don't go AP anymore (APs drive cars).

I love my mission. I love you guys.

Elder Wall

Hua Zhanglao.

No comments:

Post a Comment